- Banking and Financial Institution Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- International Practice
- Eminent Domain & Zoning Litigation
Alison Battiste is a Senior Attorney in the Dallas office of Godwin Bowman & Martinez, assisting clients with commercial litigation matters. Her primary focus is on resolving contractual disputes in a fair and efficient manner. Her practice also concentrates on real estate litigation, specifically handling eminent domain and condemnation cases. Ms. Battiste has a strong record of obtaining significantly larger awards for her clients, large landowners and businesses, compared to the amounts originally offered by the condemning authority.
Within the community, Alison is a dedicated supporter of women and children. She advocates for the education of, and mentors, Dallas Foster Youth. She is also a committee member, and an active volunteer, for the Women's Advocacy Awards, which raises money for Dallas Legal Aid. A supporter of the Dallas arts community, she serves on the 2017-2018 Business Council for the Arts leadership class.
Alison secured a B.S. in Chemistry and an MBA from The George Washington University, before going on to earn a J.D. from the Georgetown University Law Center. Recognizing the excellence of her practice, she has been selected three times to the list of Texas Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, recognizing the top young attorneys in the State of Texas.
To Print Alison Battiste’s Full Bio Click Here.
- Negotiated condemnation settlement, pre-trial, resulting in more than ten times the amount originally offered by the condemning authority.
- Successfully argued to court that bad acts during a condemnation hearing by the condemning authority must be considered at a trial de novo.
- Lead associate in multiple condemnation cases defending large landowners and businesses; work with experts and defend landowners’ positions at commissioners’ hearings and at trial.
- Successfully argued highest and best use of condemned property in order to achieve the best results for clients in multiple eminent domain cases.
- Successfully defended franchisee after alleged breach of contract and warded off threatened lawsuit by franchisor prior to any court filings.
- Lead associate in suit representing manufacturing company, against a private equity firm over debt and equity issues, where she developed the successful theory of the case.
- Primary editor and researcher of a brief submitted to the Tenth Circuit, in which the judges, including Judge Neil Gorsuch, sided for our client in an OSHA case, Longhorn Serv. Co. v. Perez, 652 Fed. Appx. 678, 679 (10th Cir. 2016).
- Lead associate in premises liability case, defending a landlord after it entered into a buy and lease-back relationship with a fast-food lessee and catastrophic injuries occurred at one of the portfolio restaurants.
- Assisted numerous clients in avoiding litigation against them through pre-suit negotiations.
- Lead associate on team defending billions of trust assets from remote contingent beneficiaries, where she developed a theory to protect confidential trust documents from disclosure.
- Successfully settled numerous deceptive trade practices act suits, with favorable terms for clients.
- Convinced plaintiff to nonsuit within three months after the filing of the original petition and after she deposed plaintiff’s lead witness.
- Drafted and reviewed numerous corporate documents, including investor agreements, licensing agreements and corporate operating agreements.
- Drafted numerous employment agreements for clients wishing to protect themselves prior to hiring.
- Drafted successful summary judgment that got hundreds of workers' compensation claims against our textile client dismissed.
- Served on the trial team that successfully represented Halliburton in the BP Macondo oil spill case.
- As lead associate, obtained summary judgment for Halliburton in admiralty law case against foreign plaintiffs and successfully defended the summary judgment on appeal.
- Drafted a credit agreement on behalf of a large foreign lender who funded development projects in other countries.
- Advised a domestic manufacturer and a foreign distributor on issues of United States law
- State Courts of Texas
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Fellow, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation
- Fellow, Dallas Bar Association
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 2007)
- University College London (International Law Study, U.K., 2005)
- George Washington University (M.B.A., 2001)
- Fundação Getulio Vargas (International Business Study, Brazil, 2001)
- George Washington University (B.S., Chemistry, 1998)
- Business Council for the Arts, Leadership Arts Institute, Class of 2017-2018 in Dallas County
- Education Advocate for Dallas Foster Youth
- Annual Women's Advocacy Awards, Committee Member
- Dallas Women's Lawyers Association, Member
- National Association of Women MBAs, Member
- DFW Chapter of National Black MBA Association, Inc., Board Member & Recording Secretary, 2014
- Georgetown Club of DFW, Board Member & Treasurer, 2008-2009