Israel R. Silvas
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate & Transactional
- Energy/ Oil and Gas Litigation
- Banking & Financial Institution Litigation
Israel R. Silvas is a Shareholder at Godwin Bowman & Martinez. He has counseled clients (both plaintiffs and defendants) in cases pending in Texas state courts, federal courts, and arbitration proceedings. He has experience with a broad scope of complex litigation disputes, including Oil & Gas, Environmental, Energy, Antitrust, Tortious Interference, Deceptive Trade Practices, Unfair Competition, Qui Tam, Contract, Probate, Securities, and Fraud. Mr. Silvas also has experience with class action lawsuits and multi-district litigation. He was also a member of the Firm's Halliburton Trial Team, working in connection with all civil litigation and investigations concerning BP's Macondo well blowout (Deepwater Horizon) in the Gulf of Mexico. His experience also includes drafting, negotiating, and revising Purchase & Sale Agreements, Mineral Deeds, Mineral Leases, Royalty Conveyances, Releases and Indemnification Agreements.
Reflecting the excellence of his practice, Mr. Silvas has been honored with 7-time selection to the list of Thomson Reuters' "Texas Rising Stars" honoring the top young lawyers in Texas, and has been named to the National Diversity Council's list of the "Top 50 Multicultural Lawyers in Dallas". He has also received a 10.0 rating from AVVO.com, the organization's highest rank.
Mr. Silvas graduated summa cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Texas at El Paso in 2001 and a doctorate of jurisprudence from Harvard Law School in 2004. Following his graduation from law school, he clerked for United States District Judge Philip R. Martinez.
To read Israel Silvas' article, "The Days of Spilling Trade Secrets in Litigation Could be Numbered, Click Here
To Print Israel R. Silvas’ Full Bio Click Here
Representative ExperienceCommercial Litigation
- As lead attorney and first chair on a four-day jury trial team, prosecuted breach of contract claims.
- As lead attorney, prosecuting breach of contract claims related to the sale of goods in the oil & gas industry.
- As lead attorney, prosecuting breach of contract and fraud claims.
- As co-lead attorney, defending auto dealership against negligence claims.
- As lead attorney, prosecuted breach of contract claims and obtained favorable settlement for client.
- As lead attorney, prosecuted breach of contract claims related to the provision of services in the oil & gas industry and obtained a favorable settlement for client.
- As lead attorney, defended against claims for Breach of Contract and Fraud relating to the Sale of Mineral Interests.
- As lead associate and second chair in a six-day arbitration, prosecuted violations of the Texas Securities Act and breach of contract claims.
- As lead associate, defended against civil fraud and breach of contract claims stemming from an alleged Ponzi Scheme.
- As lead associate, defended against RICO claims in probate litigation related to $4.5 billion sale of Hunt Petroleum Corporation.
- As lead associate, prosecuted breach of contract claims on behalf of a financial institution.
- As lead associate and second chair on a four-day jury trial team, defended against deceptive trade practices and breach of contract claims.
- As lead associate, defended against antitrust claims and assisted in all aspects of litigation, including trial preparation, expert reports, research, motion practice, and discovery management.
- As lead associate on a six-day jury trial team, defended against breach of contract and tortious interference claims.
- Drafted, negotiated, and revised Purchase & Sale Agreements, Mineral Deeds, Mineral Leases, Royalty Conveyances, Releases and Indemnification Agreements.
Honors & Awards
- 6-time selection to the list of Thomson Reuters' "Texas Rising Stars" as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers (Rising Stars Edition) magazines, 2012, 2013 and 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Selected to the Dallas Association of Young Lawyers 2013 Leadership Program; served as the Marketing Co-Chair for the 2014 DAYL Charity Ball benefiting EPIC and Habitat for Humanity (which raised $50,000 and helped to build a home through the Carter Work Project)
- "Superb" 10-Rating by Avvo
- Selected as one of the "Top 50 Multicultural Lawyers in Dallas" by the National Diversity Council, 2017
- State Courts of Texas, 2005
- Northern District of Texas, 2006
- Southern District of Texas, 2010
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2011
- United States Supreme Court, 2013
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Dallas Hispanic Bar Association
- Greater Dallas Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Dallas Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Harvard Law School (J.D., June 2005)
- University of Texas at El Paso (B.A., summa cum laude, May 2001)