Child Custody Attorneys in Dallas
Protecting the Rights of Parents Throughout Texas
In the aftermath of a divorce, many important and potentially life-altering decisions must be made. Some of the most important may be those that affect the lives of your children. Our team of experienced Dallas family law attorneys at Godwin Bowman PC can help you make decisions that protect your parental rights and the well-being of your children.
Speak with a family law attorney from our firm about your case and learn more about the laws affecting child custody in the state of Texas.
- There are two different types of child custody recognized in Texas:
- Physical custody is the time a child spends physically with a parent.
- Legal custody is the parent’s legal rights concerning decision making, such as where a child goes to school, health care choices, religious training, and more.
- In addition, there are three forms of child custody:
- Joint custody – The parents share physical custody and/or legal custody of the child, allowing both parents to have an interest in the child’s upbringing
- Primary custody – One parent is named the primary custodian, while the other parent has visitation rights/temporary custody
- Sole custody – One parent has custody of the child
Factors That Influence Child Custody
The court prioritizes the best interests of the child in determining custody, which involves looking at numerous factors such as:
- The parent’s role in the child’s upbringing and nurturing
- The child’s preferences
- The parent’s situation and decisions moving forward into the future
Contact a Dallas Child Custody Lawyer at (214) 939-4400
As you prepare for custody arrangements, it is important that you have access to advice from an experienced professional who can answer your questions and provide you with informed and knowledgeable representation. Our family lawyers in Dallas are prepared to help you achieve what is best for your child. Godwin Bowman PC has more than three decades of experience and we take a team approach to helping our clients.